Add your name to our open letter to federal parliament
An open letter to all members of Australia’s next Federal Parliament
The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) was created to give people with disability a fair go – to level out the playing field.
But right now the NDIS is not living up to its promise. The NDIS we fought for is now facing death by a thousand cuts – devastating the lives of people with disability and leaving them without the support they need.
We want to work with our elected representatives and the NDIA to turn this around. We want to make sure the NDIS is the world-leading scheme Australians know it can and should be.
People with disability, families, advocates and supporters are united in our support for a strong NDIS that works well for everyone who needs it, and a system that makes sure no one who needs disability support is left behind.
That’s why we are calling on you – our leaders in the next Australian Parliament – to promise to support the NDIS, to get it back on track.
We want to you to:
- Make sure the NDIA works with – not against – people with disability and the people who support us. Put people with disability back in the driver’s seat.
- Make sure people who are not eligible for the NDIS can get the support they need. The NDIS was never meant to be an oasis in the desert.
- Improve planning processes right from the start – to reduce the need for AAT appeals, and provide better support when NDIS plans don’t meet people’s needs.
- Make sure all NDIA processes are fair, open, and accessible to all. People with disability and families should never again be forced to fight lawyers from top-tier private firms to win back essential supports.
- Make sure everyone who does need more support can always get it – by fully funding independent advocacy and legal support.
- Bring trust, pride, and transparency back to the heart of the NDIA.
The NDIS is a once-in-a-lifetime social reform. And it’s great for our economy too. For every $1 spent on the NDIS, $2.25 goes straight back into local communities. The NDIS benefits everyone. Now is the time to get it right.
Millions of ordinary Australians will be voting to Defend Our NDIS this election. We hope we can count on you too.