The Victorian of the Year for 2011 Father Bob Maguire has backed the campaign for a National Disability Insurance Scheme, urging all Australians to support a better deal for people with disabilities to ensure that Every Australian Counts!
Father Bob has been the parish priest at St Peter and Paul’s Church in South Melbourne since 1973. His tireless work for vulnerable, poor and needy Victorians over many years was recognised in his appointment as Victorian of the Year for 2011. This follows Father Bob being awarded an Order of Australia for his work back in 1989.
Father Bob is an inspirational person whose very visible commitment to social justice means that he is able to keep issues of poverty, fairness and equity on the public agenda, never far from the attention of the media and politicians.
Consistent with his work of supporting those most vulnerable in the community, Father Bob recognises that a National Disability Insurance Scheme will benefit people with disabilities, their families and carers many of whom are amongst our most vulnerable and marginalised citizens.
Father Bob joins other eminent Australians including Australian of the Year Simon McKeon and Senior Australian of the Year Professor Ron McCallum AO in supporting the NDIS.
Father Bob recently took some time out from his busy schedule to record this message for the Every Australian Counts campaign, which can be viewed here:
Leave a comment
Join the campaign
- Several Federal Members of Parliament set to hold NDIS forums across Victoria, come and have your voice heard!
- Geelong is in for a double delight as two NDIS forums are held on February 8, 2013! Register today!
- Expert disability panel to discuss NDIS - Frankston - 5 December
- Upcoming NDIS forum in Benalla:15 November
- Rob Mitchell MP and Senator McLucas host NDIS forum in Seymour
- Chelsea, your Federal MP wants to hear your thoughts on the NDIS
- Senator Mclucas invites you to talk about the NDIS in Brand
Join the Conversation
- Blogs from State Campaign Co-ordinators (308)
- Count me in Celebrities (19)
- Counting on our MPs (110)
- DisabiliTEA 2 August 2011 (12)
- DisabiliTEA 2012 (4)
- EAC (124)
- I Count TV (20)
- In the media (153)
- Look who's counting now (54)
- Message book (7196)
- My Story – Why every Australian must count (10)
- National (51)
- National Disability and Carers Congress (14)
- NDIS Information Forums (73)
- News (31)
- Notes from the Campaign Director (29)
- NSW/ACT (63)
- QLD (88)
- SA/NT (17)
- Upcoming Events (33)
- VIC/TAS (134)
- WA (110)
- You Count – Campaigners in Action (58)
- Your Story (100)
In the media
- Meanwhile in WA... 16 May, 2013
- PM on WA & the NDIS 28 March, 2013
- NDIS Legislation Eclipse 22 March, 2013
- Tweet NDIS Questions to the WA Leaders Debate Tonight 19 February, 2013
- Premier Barnett on the NDIS & COAG 5 December, 2012
- Excellence in Disability Reform -Samantha Jenkinson in her own words 29 November, 2012
- Asking our MPS to stand and deliver 26 November, 2012
- Media Release: CAMPAIGN REJECTS NDIS COST SCAREMONGERING 15 November, 2012