The Every Australian Counts campaign for the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) has welcomed today’s moves by the Victorian and New South Wales Governments to offer to host the launch sites for the NDIS.
The Victorian Government has nominated the Geelong region whilst New South Wales has advanced the Hunter region.
Victoria’s proposed launch area would consist of the City of Greater Geelong, the Surf Coast Shire, the Borough of Queenscliffe and the Colac-Otway Shires, areas which the Victorian Government describe as being well placed to build on and use existing services and supports to launch the NDIS in Victoria.
The NSW Government’s proposal recommends 10,000 people with disability in the Hunter take part in the launch, with the NSW Government saying the Hunter is the best region to host a launch in NSW given its mix of rural and metropolitan settings and existence of a current single access point for community care.
“The creation of the NDIS is a national reform, comparable to the creation of Medicare and it requires strong co-operation between the Commonwealth and the States,” Campaign Director John Della Bosca said.
“In recommending the creation of the NDIS, the Productivity Commission said it should be rolled out in stages via launch sites and then fully implemented across the nation by 2018. In this instance, it is good to see the States show real leadership on the reform.”
Mr Della Bosca said the new funding required for the full implementation of the NDIS is approximately $7 billion by 2018, effectively doubling the current expenditure on disability services nationally.
“Whilst today’s developments are very welcome, the future of the NDIS is not guaranteed. There is no agreement between the Commonwealth and the States and Territories on how the NDIS will be funded long term. The campaign wants a detailed long term funding plan from our political leaders that will lock in the NDIS for good.”
“Next week, the Prime Minister, the Premiers and Chief Ministers will meet at COAG to discuss the future of the NDIS. Hundreds of thousands of Australians with serious disabilities, their families and carers are counting on them to lock in the NDIS for the future.”
In recent days, the Every Australian Counts campaign has received thousands of messages of support from people with disabilities, their families and carers calling on COAG to lock in the NDIS for the future.
To view these messages go to: http://everyaustraliancounts.com.au/category/message_book/
Leave a comment
Join the campaign
Upcoming EventsUpcoming Events
- Several Federal Members of Parliament set to hold NDIS forums across Victoria, come and have your voice heard!
- Geelong is in for a double delight as two NDIS forums are held on February 8, 2013! Register today!
- Expert disability panel to discuss NDIS – Frankston – 5 December
- Upcoming NDIS forum in Benalla:15 November
- Rob Mitchell MP and Senator McLucas host NDIS forum in Seymour
- Chelsea, your Federal MP wants to hear your thoughts on the NDIS
- Senator Mclucas invites you to talk about the NDIS in Brand
Join the Conversation
- Blogs from State Campaign Co-ordinators (316)
- Count me in Celebrities (19)
- Counting on our MPs (112)
- DisabiliTEA 2 August 2011 (12)
- DisabiliTEA 2012 (4)
- EAC (136)
- I Count TV (20)
- In the media (153)
- Look who's counting now (56)
- Message book (7194)
- My Story – Why every Australian must count (11)
- National (53)
- National Disability and Carers Congress (14)
- NDIS Information Forums (73)
- News (37)
- Notes from the Campaign Director (29)
- NSW/ACT (63)
- QLD (88)
- SA/NT (17)
- Upcoming Events (33)
- VIC/TAS (134)
- WA (117)
- You Count – Campaigners in Action (60)
- Your Story (100)
In the mediaIn the media
- Meanwhile in WA… 16 May, 2013
- PM on WA & the NDIS 28 March, 2013
- NDIS Legislation Eclipse 22 March, 2013
- Tweet NDIS Questions to the WA Leaders Debate Tonight 19 February, 2013
- Premier Barnett on the NDIS & COAG 5 December, 2012
- Excellence in Disability Reform -Samantha Jenkinson in her own words 29 November, 2012
- Asking our MPS to stand and deliver 26 November, 2012
- Media Release: CAMPAIGN REJECTS NDIS COST SCAREMONGERING 15 November, 2012