I need this NDIS as I was born with Spina Bifida. As a result of this I have had numerous operations, use crutches to walk, I also use a wheelchair for long distances. My main worry is I have bladder incontinence and up until 18 months ago I was always at the Doctors with bladder infections that would hospitalise me and would be on very strong doses of antibiotics that were often immune to the infections. I also had hospital in the home and regular specialist visitations and scans/ultra sounds.
ALL BECAUSE THE GOVERNMENT ONLY ALLOWED ME TO GO TO THE TOILET 1 TIME A DAY WITH THE AMOUNT OF SUPPLIES THAT THEY WOULD SUPPLY. I COULD NOT AFFORD TO BUY INCONTINENCE AIDS TO GO TO THE TOILET.
I had letters from Doctors and Specialist asking PADP to increase my supply allowance as it would be cheaper to give me the right amount to keep my bladder empty and to be able to go to the toilet atleast 3-4 times a day. This never happened and I continued to get sicker.
In the last 18 months we have had reform in our scheme in NSW with ENABLE being put into place and as from receiving the amount of supplies to be able to go to the toilet 4 times a day I have only had a hand full of infections only requiring antibiotics and no hospital stays or hospital in the home visits.
Now my problem is if I was to move to QLD which is what I am looking at doing I go back to square 1 with only receiving enough to go to the toilet 1 a day.. I can’t afford the supplies.. I think that the government needs to keep the annual CAPS payment that they give and just have a national scheme for incontinence aids like ENABLE. I also think that other disabilities need other items but for me I need to able to live anywhere in Australia and have the safety of being able to get supplies for a basic fundamental human need of going to the toilet and not just once a day. I hope this NDIS includes incontinence aids and not for 1 time a day it needs to be atleast 4 times ask any urologist.
Leave a comment
Join the campaign
Upcoming EventsUpcoming Events
- Several Federal Members of Parliament set to hold NDIS forums across Victoria, come and have your voice heard!
- Geelong is in for a double delight as two NDIS forums are held on February 8, 2013! Register today!
- Expert disability panel to discuss NDIS – Frankston – 5 December
- Upcoming NDIS forum in Benalla:15 November
- Rob Mitchell MP and Senator McLucas host NDIS forum in Seymour
- Chelsea, your Federal MP wants to hear your thoughts on the NDIS
- Senator Mclucas invites you to talk about the NDIS in Brand
Join the Conversation
- Blogs from State Campaign Co-ordinators (317)
- Count me in Celebrities (19)
- Counting on our MPs (112)
- DisabiliTEA 2 August 2011 (12)
- DisabiliTEA 2012 (4)
- EAC (139)
- I Count TV (20)
- In the media (153)
- Look who's counting now (56)
- Message book (7194)
- My Story – Why every Australian must count (11)
- National (53)
- National Disability and Carers Congress (14)
- NDIS Information Forums (73)
- News (37)
- Notes from the Campaign Director (29)
- NSW/ACT (63)
- QLD (88)
- SA/NT (17)
- Upcoming Events (33)
- VIC/TAS (134)
- WA (117)
- You Count – Campaigners in Action (60)
- Your Story (100)
In the mediaIn the media
- Meanwhile in WA… 16 May, 2013
- PM on WA & the NDIS 28 March, 2013
- NDIS Legislation Eclipse 22 March, 2013
- Tweet NDIS Questions to the WA Leaders Debate Tonight 19 February, 2013
- Premier Barnett on the NDIS & COAG 5 December, 2012
- Excellence in Disability Reform -Samantha Jenkinson in her own words 29 November, 2012
- Asking our MPS to stand and deliver 26 November, 2012
- Media Release: CAMPAIGN REJECTS NDIS COST SCAREMONGERING 15 November, 2012