The hopes and dreams of hundreds of thousands of Australians rest with our political leaders as they meet in Canberra on 25 July for the Council of Australian Governments (COAG) meeting to decide how the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) will be funded and progressed.
We ask everyone who needs the NDIS to SEND A MESSAGE TO COAG.
Every message will go into our COAG Message Book, to be presented to the Prime Minister, the Premiers of each state and the Chief Ministers of each territory.
We will make it plain to each political leader that Australians expect them to fully support and deliver a person-centred, nation-wide system of disability support – the NDIS.
In every state and territory people are deprived of the disability supports they need to be part of everyday life. All our political leaders must understand that disability can – and does – happen to anyone, any time.
Just like Kieron. An accident on the Gold Coast one sunny day left Kieron, 25. paralysed. It took away his freedom of movement and his independence. Unable to pay for the right supports and equipment, Kieron now can’t leave the house. This is Kieron’s reality every day. And the reality of his mum, Elaine, who is now his 24/7 carer.
Kieron and Elaine support the NDIS, as do over one million other Australians – 410,000 people with severe disability and over 700,000 family carers – to ensure they can regain their independence, be part of everyday life again and have the opportunity to contribute to our nation.
As federal shadow Treasurer Joe Hockey said in a speech in London in May:
“Equality of opportunity … is my preferred model for contemporary society.”
The message that the Every Australian Counts campaign sends to COAG is we expect our political leaders to take responsibility to fund and deliver the NDIS in every state and territory, so that every Australian has equality of opportunity.
Leave a comment
Join the campaign
- Several Federal Members of Parliament set to hold NDIS forums across Victoria, come and have your voice heard!
- Geelong is in for a double delight as two NDIS forums are held on February 8, 2013! Register today!
- Expert disability panel to discuss NDIS - Frankston - 5 December
- Upcoming NDIS forum in Benalla:15 November
- Rob Mitchell MP and Senator McLucas host NDIS forum in Seymour
- Chelsea, your Federal MP wants to hear your thoughts on the NDIS
- Senator Mclucas invites you to talk about the NDIS in Brand
Join the Conversation
- Blogs from State Campaign Co-ordinators (308)
- Count me in Celebrities (19)
- Counting on our MPs (110)
- DisabiliTEA 2 August 2011 (12)
- DisabiliTEA 2012 (4)
- EAC (124)
- I Count TV (20)
- In the media (153)
- Look who's counting now (54)
- Message book (7196)
- My Story – Why every Australian must count (10)
- National (51)
- National Disability and Carers Congress (14)
- NDIS Information Forums (73)
- News (31)
- Notes from the Campaign Director (29)
- NSW/ACT (63)
- QLD (88)
- SA/NT (17)
- Upcoming Events (33)
- VIC/TAS (134)
- WA (110)
- You Count – Campaigners in Action (58)
- Your Story (100)
In the media
- Meanwhile in WA... 16 May, 2013
- PM on WA & the NDIS 28 March, 2013
- NDIS Legislation Eclipse 22 March, 2013
- Tweet NDIS Questions to the WA Leaders Debate Tonight 19 February, 2013
- Premier Barnett on the NDIS & COAG 5 December, 2012
- Excellence in Disability Reform -Samantha Jenkinson in her own words 29 November, 2012
- Asking our MPS to stand and deliver 26 November, 2012
- Media Release: CAMPAIGN REJECTS NDIS COST SCAREMONGERING 15 November, 2012