As a 56 year old man, I became disabled at the age of 42 after 21 years of workplace oppression, when I had the second nervous breakdown which rendered me unable to concentrate and racked with major depression and anxiety disorder.
I was always predisposed to anxiety issues and was prescribed Valium at an early age of around 16. I had enjoyed a reliable and stable work history until I found myself unemployed in 1978 after returning from a year long holiday in West Australia.
I began a job as a store-man at an Australian multi national company which lead to a role as a sales clerk and later a purchasing clerk. The clerical roles were demanding with many, many hours of unpaid overtime worked, there were never enough hours in the ordinary working day to keep up with the work load and they would not employ more staff, I was lent on as I was a willing worker who had a mortgage. I was told “your job’s on the line” and various other intimidatory phrases as a way to enslave me to the company, I even received psychical action in the form of being lifted off the ground by my ear at one time. As a result I have insomnia and joint and muscle pain as well as my chronic illness.
These are the employers who should be made to contribute to a NDIS in my humble opinion.
Leave a comment
Join the campaign
Upcoming EventsUpcoming Events
- Several Federal Members of Parliament set to hold NDIS forums across Victoria, come and have your voice heard!
- Geelong is in for a double delight as two NDIS forums are held on February 8, 2013! Register today!
- Expert disability panel to discuss NDIS – Frankston – 5 December
- Upcoming NDIS forum in Benalla:15 November
- Rob Mitchell MP and Senator McLucas host NDIS forum in Seymour
- Chelsea, your Federal MP wants to hear your thoughts on the NDIS
- Senator Mclucas invites you to talk about the NDIS in Brand
Join the Conversation
- Blogs from State Campaign Co-ordinators (316)
- Count me in Celebrities (19)
- Counting on our MPs (112)
- DisabiliTEA 2 August 2011 (12)
- DisabiliTEA 2012 (4)
- EAC (136)
- I Count TV (20)
- In the media (153)
- Look who's counting now (56)
- Message book (7194)
- My Story – Why every Australian must count (11)
- National (53)
- National Disability and Carers Congress (14)
- NDIS Information Forums (73)
- News (37)
- Notes from the Campaign Director (29)
- NSW/ACT (63)
- QLD (88)
- SA/NT (17)
- Upcoming Events (33)
- VIC/TAS (134)
- WA (117)
- You Count – Campaigners in Action (60)
- Your Story (100)
In the mediaIn the media
- Meanwhile in WA… 16 May, 2013
- PM on WA & the NDIS 28 March, 2013
- NDIS Legislation Eclipse 22 March, 2013
- Tweet NDIS Questions to the WA Leaders Debate Tonight 19 February, 2013
- Premier Barnett on the NDIS & COAG 5 December, 2012
- Excellence in Disability Reform -Samantha Jenkinson in her own words 29 November, 2012
- Asking our MPS to stand and deliver 26 November, 2012
- Media Release: CAMPAIGN REJECTS NDIS COST SCAREMONGERING 15 November, 2012