In the last few days, Premier Newman has received over 1090 emails from Queensland NDIS campaigners, urging him to rethink his economic priorities and place investing in the NDIS at the top of his to-do list.
Families of children with disability have visited the Premier at his electorate office, armed with long lists of how much it costs families to pay for early intervention therapy and equipment – that does not receive decent funding in Queensland.
National and Queensland media have reported the Premier’s refusal to reprioritise government spending to partially pay for an NDIS launch site, unlike LNP governments in NSW and VIC, whose initial reluctance evaporated in the face of public outrage.
And in the last few days Premier Newman’s approval rating has fallen by 9 points.
Maybe Premier Newman should listen to another LNP luminary – Jeff Kennett. The former Victorian premier – not known to be a big spender in his time running Victoria – has urged the federal Liberal-National Party to work out how to fund the NDIS. Jeff says:
“The NDIS is the most important social policy of our time.
We must work out how it can be afforded”
Like economic commentators across the country, Jeff Kennett knows that the NDIS is a good investment. It will generate a positive economic return on investment. And it’s a critical reform that is long-overdue to Australians with disability and their families.
Queenslanders who want our government to invest in the NDIS need to keep the pressure on our elected MPs an d our Premier.
Can you email Premier Newman today? Tell him Queensland cannot miss out on the economic and social benefits of the NDIS. We expect the Queensland government to outline a plan for how Queensland will invest in the NDIS.
Leave a comment
Join the campaign
Upcoming EventsUpcoming Events
- Several Federal Members of Parliament set to hold NDIS forums across Victoria, come and have your voice heard!
- Geelong is in for a double delight as two NDIS forums are held on February 8, 2013! Register today!
- Expert disability panel to discuss NDIS – Frankston – 5 December
- Upcoming NDIS forum in Benalla:15 November
- Rob Mitchell MP and Senator McLucas host NDIS forum in Seymour
- Chelsea, your Federal MP wants to hear your thoughts on the NDIS
- Senator Mclucas invites you to talk about the NDIS in Brand
Join the Conversation
- Blogs from State Campaign Co-ordinators (316)
- Count me in Celebrities (19)
- Counting on our MPs (112)
- DisabiliTEA 2 August 2011 (12)
- DisabiliTEA 2012 (4)
- EAC (136)
- I Count TV (20)
- In the media (153)
- Look who's counting now (56)
- Message book (7194)
- My Story – Why every Australian must count (11)
- National (53)
- National Disability and Carers Congress (14)
- NDIS Information Forums (73)
- News (37)
- Notes from the Campaign Director (29)
- NSW/ACT (63)
- QLD (88)
- SA/NT (17)
- Upcoming Events (33)
- VIC/TAS (134)
- WA (117)
- You Count – Campaigners in Action (60)
- Your Story (100)
In the mediaIn the media
- Meanwhile in WA… 16 May, 2013
- PM on WA & the NDIS 28 March, 2013
- NDIS Legislation Eclipse 22 March, 2013
- Tweet NDIS Questions to the WA Leaders Debate Tonight 19 February, 2013
- Premier Barnett on the NDIS & COAG 5 December, 2012
- Excellence in Disability Reform -Samantha Jenkinson in her own words 29 November, 2012
- Asking our MPS to stand and deliver 26 November, 2012
- Media Release: CAMPAIGN REJECTS NDIS COST SCAREMONGERING 15 November, 2012