The Every Australian Counts campaign is pleased to annoucne that well known Tasmanian disability campaigner David Pearce OAM will address the Hobart rally on Monday 30 April at 12noon on the lawns of Parliament House in Hobart.
David is the President of Advocacy Tasmania and also an Alderman on Glenorchy City Council.
David has Cerebral Palsy and has dedicated his life to advancing the rights of people with disabilities. He has played a central role in the Every Australian Counts campaign.
People may recall the video David starred in last year with Independent MP for Denison Andrew Wilkie which provided practical advice on how to lobby your Federal MP on the NDIS. You can view that video by clicking here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaslHFOCsvI
David told Every Australian Counts that:
The Commonwealth Parliament has the opportunity to endorse the NDIS and make the biggest social, economic and cultural change to Australian society in over 100 years – the biggest change since Federation.
20% of Australians have identified as living with some sort of disability – with families and carers it is about 30% of Australians are impacted by disability.
The rally will send a message to all Australians that the issue of disability isn’t going away, the numbers are increasing.
This is a big issue and the rally will send a message to all Australians that people with disabilities can make a great contribution to the community and they count.
The NDIS will put people with disabilities in control of their own lives.
We thank David for his tireless advocacy and look forward to his address to the Hobart rally.
Below: David pictured with local Federal MP Andrew Wilkie.
Leave a comment
Join the campaign
- Several Federal Members of Parliament set to hold NDIS forums across Victoria, come and have your voice heard!
- Geelong is in for a double delight as two NDIS forums are held on February 8, 2013! Register today!
- Expert disability panel to discuss NDIS - Frankston - 5 December
- Upcoming NDIS forum in Benalla:15 November
- Rob Mitchell MP and Senator McLucas host NDIS forum in Seymour
- Chelsea, your Federal MP wants to hear your thoughts on the NDIS
- Senator Mclucas invites you to talk about the NDIS in Brand
Join the Conversation
- Blogs from State Campaign Co-ordinators (308)
- Count me in Celebrities (19)
- Counting on our MPs (110)
- DisabiliTEA 2 August 2011 (12)
- DisabiliTEA 2012 (4)
- EAC (124)
- I Count TV (20)
- In the media (153)
- Look who's counting now (54)
- Message book (7196)
- My Story – Why every Australian must count (10)
- National (51)
- National Disability and Carers Congress (14)
- NDIS Information Forums (73)
- News (31)
- Notes from the Campaign Director (29)
- NSW/ACT (63)
- QLD (88)
- SA/NT (17)
- Upcoming Events (33)
- VIC/TAS (134)
- WA (110)
- You Count – Campaigners in Action (58)
- Your Story (100)
In the media
- Meanwhile in WA... 16 May, 2013
- PM on WA & the NDIS 28 March, 2013
- NDIS Legislation Eclipse 22 March, 2013
- Tweet NDIS Questions to the WA Leaders Debate Tonight 19 February, 2013
- Premier Barnett on the NDIS & COAG 5 December, 2012
- Excellence in Disability Reform -Samantha Jenkinson in her own words 29 November, 2012
- Asking our MPS to stand and deliver 26 November, 2012
- Media Release: CAMPAIGN REJECTS NDIS COST SCAREMONGERING 15 November, 2012