23rd August 2012
The Every Australian Counts campaign for the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) calls for true multi-partisanship from the nation’s political leaders and MPs, to progress the NDIS nationally and in each state and territory.
To lock in the NDIS both major political parties must outline how they will fully fund the national roll-out beyond launch sites to start in 2013, and support legislation enshrining the scheme.
While the NDIS – which promises to be one of Australia’s greatest social policy reforms – must be actively supported and progressed by Parliament as a whole, it should not be viewed as being “owned’ by Parliament.
The NDIS must be owned by the people it is intended to support – people with disability, their families and carers.
“The true “owners” of the NDIS simply do not care about party politics,” says campaign director John Della Bosca.
“They just want the NDIS progressed so that the launches take place from July 2013, learnings are made and the NDIS is rolled out nationally so that it delivers for the 410,000 people with disability who have waited decades for a fair, effective, personalised system of disability support .”
“The NDIS launches in Victoria, New South Wales, South Australia, the Australian Capital Territory and Tasmania are a solid first step.”
“The next step we expect to see by the end of this year is genuine multi-partisan political support to legislate the NDIS – that is what will ensure the NDIS becomes reality.”
Australians are shocked at the struggles people continue to endure with Australia’s dysfunctional disability systems, deprived of the equipment, support and therapy they need to live a decent life.
“Australians will not let the NDIS become a political football “says Mr Della Bosca. “Everyone knows someone who has a disability or who supports and cares for someone with a disability. Disability is close to home for most Australians.”
“We expect political opponents across successive federal and state parliaments to work together constructively for the greater good of all Australians who need the NDIS now and in the future”.
To to arrange a call back please contact John Della Bosca by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Leave a comment
Join the campaign
- Several Federal Members of Parliament set to hold NDIS forums across Victoria, come and have your voice heard!
- Geelong is in for a double delight as two NDIS forums are held on February 8, 2013! Register today!
- Expert disability panel to discuss NDIS - Frankston - 5 December
- Upcoming NDIS forum in Benalla:15 November
- Rob Mitchell MP and Senator McLucas host NDIS forum in Seymour
- Chelsea, your Federal MP wants to hear your thoughts on the NDIS
- Senator Mclucas invites you to talk about the NDIS in Brand
Join the Conversation
- Blogs from State Campaign Co-ordinators (316)
- Count me in Celebrities (19)
- Counting on our MPs (112)
- DisabiliTEA 2 August 2011 (12)
- DisabiliTEA 2012 (4)
- EAC (133)
- I Count TV (20)
- In the media (153)
- Look who's counting now (56)
- Message book (7196)
- My Story – Why every Australian must count (11)
- National (53)
- National Disability and Carers Congress (14)
- NDIS Information Forums (73)
- News (37)
- Notes from the Campaign Director (29)
- NSW/ACT (63)
- QLD (88)
- SA/NT (17)
- Upcoming Events (33)
- VIC/TAS (134)
- WA (117)
- You Count – Campaigners in Action (60)
- Your Story (100)
In the media
- Meanwhile in WA... 16 May, 2013
- PM on WA & the NDIS 28 March, 2013
- NDIS Legislation Eclipse 22 March, 2013
- Tweet NDIS Questions to the WA Leaders Debate Tonight 19 February, 2013
- Premier Barnett on the NDIS & COAG 5 December, 2012
- Excellence in Disability Reform -Samantha Jenkinson in her own words 29 November, 2012
- Asking our MPS to stand and deliver 26 November, 2012
- Media Release: CAMPAIGN REJECTS NDIS COST SCAREMONGERING 15 November, 2012