I have identical twin boys. They are five years old, have a rare genetic condition, and can’t walk or talk. They are fully dependent on someone for every moment of their lives: eating, nappy changing, brushing their teeth, getting dressed…
My boys need so much special-needs equipment: bath chairs, feeding chairs (with head supports), (cut-out) play tables, standing frames, walkers.. and soon wheelchairs. Each item costs thousands of dollars. They also need huge amounts of therapy and do physio, OT, speech and hydrotherapy every week.
That is what early intervention is all about. We tried to send them to a special-needs school but it was so dreadfully underfunded, lacking the essential resources to help them reach their potential, that we took them out. It was devastating.
It is a full-time job taking care of them. Thankfully I can get the support I need privately as my parents have the financial means to support them. If not, I would not have been able to work and I wonder if my marriage would have survived.
I have been shocked at how little support there is in Australia for kids with disabilities. This country, our politicians, should be ashamed of themselves.
I used to feel like a proud Australian; now I feel like I live in a uncaring country that discards its most weak and vulnerable.
An NDIS is essential and way past needed.
Leave a comment
Join the campaign
- Several Federal Members of Parliament set to hold NDIS forums across Victoria, come and have your voice heard!
- Geelong is in for a double delight as two NDIS forums are held on February 8, 2013! Register today!
- Expert disability panel to discuss NDIS - Frankston - 5 December
- Upcoming NDIS forum in Benalla:15 November
- Rob Mitchell MP and Senator McLucas host NDIS forum in Seymour
- Chelsea, your Federal MP wants to hear your thoughts on the NDIS
- Senator Mclucas invites you to talk about the NDIS in Brand
Join the Conversation
- Blogs from State Campaign Co-ordinators (316)
- Count me in Celebrities (19)
- Counting on our MPs (112)
- DisabiliTEA 2 August 2011 (12)
- DisabiliTEA 2012 (4)
- EAC (133)
- I Count TV (20)
- In the media (153)
- Look who's counting now (56)
- Message book (7196)
- My Story – Why every Australian must count (11)
- National (53)
- National Disability and Carers Congress (14)
- NDIS Information Forums (73)
- News (37)
- Notes from the Campaign Director (29)
- NSW/ACT (63)
- QLD (88)
- SA/NT (17)
- Upcoming Events (33)
- VIC/TAS (134)
- WA (117)
- You Count – Campaigners in Action (60)
- Your Story (100)
In the media
- Meanwhile in WA... 16 May, 2013
- PM on WA & the NDIS 28 March, 2013
- NDIS Legislation Eclipse 22 March, 2013
- Tweet NDIS Questions to the WA Leaders Debate Tonight 19 February, 2013
- Premier Barnett on the NDIS & COAG 5 December, 2012
- Excellence in Disability Reform -Samantha Jenkinson in her own words 29 November, 2012
- Asking our MPS to stand and deliver 26 November, 2012
- Media Release: CAMPAIGN REJECTS NDIS COST SCAREMONGERING 15 November, 2012