The Every Australian Counts campaign welcomes tonight’s historic announcement that $1 billion will be allocated over the next four years towards the launch of the National Disability Insurance Scheme.
The Budget allocation includes $342.5 million over three years for individualised packages for people with a disability and their families.
Every Australian Counts National Campaign Director John Della Bosca said: “Every night around Australia aging carers go to bed worried about what will happen to their son or daughter with a disability when they can no longer provide care and support.
“I know tonight they will sleep a little easier knowing the NDIS is on its way.”
“Tonight the Commonwealth has laid some strong foundations to make the NDIS real. The scheme is being launched sooner than we expected. For 20,000 people with a disability around the nation help is finally on its way,” Mr Della Bosca said.
“In a tight fiscal environment, committing $1 billion to disability reform represents an historic improvement and a positive change for Australians living with disability.
“For too long, disability has been in the too hard basket. The waiting lists for equipment, the lack of respite care and the underfunding of services has been a national disgrace. Today we start to right that wrong.
“The plan outlined tonight relies heavily on cooperation between the Federal, State and Territory governments. I know that State Ministers around the country support the NDIS. They want to see it become a reality. So we look forward to everyone sitting around the table and working out how to make the NDIS a reality.
“Our Every Australian Counts campaign supporters have built a strong disability movement. Our supporters have worked tirelessly to put the NDIS on the political agenda and to keep it there.
“Tonight’s announcement is a tribute to their hard work. Tonight they know that their voices have finally been heard.”
For more information contact Daniel Dew – 0429 006 976
Leave a comment
Join the campaign
Upcoming EventsUpcoming Events
- Several Federal Members of Parliament set to hold NDIS forums across Victoria, come and have your voice heard!
- Geelong is in for a double delight as two NDIS forums are held on February 8, 2013! Register today!
- Expert disability panel to discuss NDIS – Frankston – 5 December
- Upcoming NDIS forum in Benalla:15 November
- Rob Mitchell MP and Senator McLucas host NDIS forum in Seymour
- Chelsea, your Federal MP wants to hear your thoughts on the NDIS
- Senator Mclucas invites you to talk about the NDIS in Brand
Join the Conversation
- Blogs from State Campaign Co-ordinators (317)
- Count me in Celebrities (19)
- Counting on our MPs (112)
- DisabiliTEA 2 August 2011 (12)
- DisabiliTEA 2012 (4)
- EAC (139)
- I Count TV (20)
- In the media (153)
- Look who's counting now (56)
- Message book (7194)
- My Story – Why every Australian must count (11)
- National (53)
- National Disability and Carers Congress (14)
- NDIS Information Forums (73)
- News (37)
- Notes from the Campaign Director (29)
- NSW/ACT (63)
- QLD (88)
- SA/NT (17)
- Upcoming Events (33)
- VIC/TAS (134)
- WA (117)
- You Count – Campaigners in Action (60)
- Your Story (100)
In the mediaIn the media
- Meanwhile in WA… 16 May, 2013
- PM on WA & the NDIS 28 March, 2013
- NDIS Legislation Eclipse 22 March, 2013
- Tweet NDIS Questions to the WA Leaders Debate Tonight 19 February, 2013
- Premier Barnett on the NDIS & COAG 5 December, 2012
- Excellence in Disability Reform -Samantha Jenkinson in her own words 29 November, 2012
- Asking our MPS to stand and deliver 26 November, 2012
- Media Release: CAMPAIGN REJECTS NDIS COST SCAREMONGERING 15 November, 2012