The Every Australian Counts campaign welcomes the statement on the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) by the Leader of the Opposition Tony Abbott at the National Press Club today in Canberra.
Mr Abbott has today given the strongest statement of support for the NDIS from the opposition saying that:
“The coalition strongly supports the Productivity Commission’s recommendation for a disability insurance scheme but, with an estimated price tag of $6 billion a year this important and necessary reform can’t fully be implemented until the budget returns to strong surplus”.
John Della Bosca National Director of the Every Australian Counts Campaign said “The Every Australian Counts campaign welcomes Mr Abbott’s statement in support of the NDIS. It’s significant that in Tony Abbott’s first major speech for the year he has made the NDIS one of 3 priority areas that the Coalition would address if elected into Government”
“For more than a year we have been campaigning for an NDIS. Across Australia more than 700 hundred people with a disability and their families have visited their local MP’s. They all told similar stories of a disability system that is underfunded and inefficient and often leaves our fellow Australians in a state of financial and emotional crisis. The statement from opposition leader Tony Abbott today is another sign that our parliament is listening”.
“The NDIS is now supported by both the government and the opposition”.
“The disability community welcomes the bi-partisan support for the NDIS. To fix the crisis in our disability system we want to see this bi-partisan support translated into real action. We hope 2012 will be the year the agency to run the NDIS is legislated, the launch sites to start the NDIS are announced and the funding for the scheme is outlined. The disability community has waited long enough. Now is the time to make the NDIS real”.
John Della Bosca concluded: “Aspiration and in principle commitments from all political parties are welcome and provide some hope but what the disability community wants is real action, fixed timelines and a guarantee on how the scheme will be funded ”.
Leave a comment
Join the campaign
- Several Federal Members of Parliament set to hold NDIS forums across Victoria, come and have your voice heard!
- Geelong is in for a double delight as two NDIS forums are held on February 8, 2013! Register today!
- Expert disability panel to discuss NDIS - Frankston - 5 December
- Upcoming NDIS forum in Benalla:15 November
- Rob Mitchell MP and Senator McLucas host NDIS forum in Seymour
- Chelsea, your Federal MP wants to hear your thoughts on the NDIS
- Senator Mclucas invites you to talk about the NDIS in Brand
Join the Conversation
- Blogs from State Campaign Co-ordinators (316)
- Count me in Celebrities (19)
- Counting on our MPs (112)
- DisabiliTEA 2 August 2011 (12)
- DisabiliTEA 2012 (4)
- EAC (133)
- I Count TV (20)
- In the media (153)
- Look who's counting now (56)
- Message book (7196)
- My Story – Why every Australian must count (11)
- National (53)
- National Disability and Carers Congress (14)
- NDIS Information Forums (73)
- News (37)
- Notes from the Campaign Director (29)
- NSW/ACT (63)
- QLD (88)
- SA/NT (17)
- Upcoming Events (33)
- VIC/TAS (134)
- WA (117)
- You Count – Campaigners in Action (60)
- Your Story (100)
In the media
- Meanwhile in WA... 16 May, 2013
- PM on WA & the NDIS 28 March, 2013
- NDIS Legislation Eclipse 22 March, 2013
- Tweet NDIS Questions to the WA Leaders Debate Tonight 19 February, 2013
- Premier Barnett on the NDIS & COAG 5 December, 2012
- Excellence in Disability Reform -Samantha Jenkinson in her own words 29 November, 2012
- Asking our MPS to stand and deliver 26 November, 2012
- Media Release: CAMPAIGN REJECTS NDIS COST SCAREMONGERING 15 November, 2012