Join the conversation
John Della Bosca says funding the NDIS will be less costly than the future expense of disability.
THE Prime Minister’s announcement to fund a National Disability Insurance Scheme has been warmly welcomed – especially by Every Australian Counts who organised the national rallies and has lobbied long and hard.
Its campaign director, John Della Bosca, tells 3Q that people with a disability have been mistreated for years. The plan to institute a Medicare-style scheme a year earlier than recommended by the Productivity Commission is the first step in correcting the inequity.
He urges all states and territories to sign on to the NDIS.
Throughout 2011 we created 10 videos that told our stories about why an NDIS is vital social reform for every Australian. We want to know your thoughts on which videos you think are the most effective? We want to know the stories you think we should focus on in 2012. Please leave your comments below:
More videos when you Continue reading »
When this campaign kicked off on Australia Day 2011,we set an impressive goal – 100,000 supporters of the NDIS by the end of the year. Today, with only four sleeps until Christmas, we’ve made it.
Well done to all of you who have signed up supporters, visited your MP, attended a community forum, come together for a cuppa at DisabiliTEA or talked to a friend about the campaign.
We’ve pulled together this video with some of the highlights of 2011.
A huge thanks to Wendy Harmer of TheHoopla for celebrating this achievement with us in the vid.
Together, all 100,000 supporters are the Every Australian Counts team. Together, we get closer to revolutionising the lives of so many Australians each day. But there’s still a long way to go.
Next year is a new year, and it will present new challenges for the campaign – and we are excited.
The counter is still ticking and we will keep campaigning until we see the National Disability Insurance Scheme in place, for good.
Keep encouraging your friends to join the campaign – who will you ask to join in 2012?
Leonie: My two sons both come to Lifestart. Xavier is the oldest one – he’s nearly four now. He has an autism spectrum disorder, and his younger brother Zachary has a very rare genetic condition which leaves him with severe to profound disabilities.
The Victorian of the Year for 2011 Father Bob Maguire has backed the campaign for a National Disability Insurance Scheme, urging all Australians to support a better deal for people with disabilities to ensure that Every Australian Counts!
Father Bob has been the parish priest at St Peter and Paul’s Church in South Melbourne since 1973. His tireless work for vulnerable, poor and needy Victorians over many years was recognised in his appointment as Victorian of the Year for 2011. This follows Father Bob being awarded an Order of Australia for his work back in 1989.
Father Bob is an inspirational person whose very visible commitment to social justice means that he is able to keep issues of poverty, fairness and equity on the public agenda, never far from the attention of the media and politicians.
Watch the Every Australian Counts campaign video here.
Every Australian Counts, the campaign for a National Disability Insurance Scheme, reaches 30,000 supporters!!
Jessica is 12 years old. She was born with the most severe form of cerebral palsy. She uses a wheelchair, cannot speak and needs round the clock care. And on top of everything else this family has to do, her mum Jane spends hours and hours filling out forms for respite care and support.
Join the campaign
Upcoming EventsUpcoming Events
- Several Federal Members of Parliament set to hold NDIS forums across Victoria, come and have your voice heard!
- Geelong is in for a double delight as two NDIS forums are held on February 8, 2013! Register today!
- Expert disability panel to discuss NDIS – Frankston – 5 December
- Upcoming NDIS forum in Benalla:15 November
- Rob Mitchell MP and Senator McLucas host NDIS forum in Seymour
- Chelsea, your Federal MP wants to hear your thoughts on the NDIS
- Senator Mclucas invites you to talk about the NDIS in Brand
Join the Conversation
- Blogs from State Campaign Co-ordinators (319)
- Count me in Celebrities (19)
- Counting on our MPs (112)
- DisabiliTEA 2 August 2011 (12)
- DisabiliTEA 2012 (4)
- EAC (144)
- I Count TV (20)
- In the media (153)
- Look who's counting now (57)
- Message book (7,194)
- My Story – Why every Australian must count (11)
- National (55)
- National Disability and Carers Congress (14)
- NDIS Information Forums (74)
- News (39)
- Notes from the Campaign Director (29)
- NSW/ACT (63)
- QLD (89)
- SA/NT (17)
- Upcoming Events (33)
- VIC/TAS (134)
- WA (119)
- You Count – Campaigners in Action (61)
- Your Story (100)
In the mediaIn the media
- Meanwhile in WA… 16 May, 2013
- PM on WA & the NDIS 28 March, 2013
- NDIS Legislation Eclipse 22 March, 2013
- Tweet NDIS Questions to the WA Leaders Debate Tonight 19 February, 2013
- Premier Barnett on the NDIS & COAG 5 December, 2012
- Excellence in Disability Reform -Samantha Jenkinson in her own words 29 November, 2012
- Asking our MPS to stand and deliver 26 November, 2012
- Media Release: CAMPAIGN REJECTS NDIS COST SCAREMONGERING 15 November, 2012