Join the conversation
Several Federal Members of Parliament set to hold NDIS forums across Victoria, come and have your voice heard!
Monday the 4th of March starts a three day tour for Senator Jan
McLucas, Parliamentary Secretary for Disabilities and Carers as she joins
Federal Members of Parliament to talk with various communities about the
current state of the National Disability Insurance Scheme in Victoria.
These forums provide all members of the community the opportunity
to have their voices heard, their opinions listened to and their questions
Residents of Geelong will be treated to two different events on Friday the 8th of February, both discussing and looking at the broad issues and questions relating to the National Disability Insurance Scheme both in Victoria and around the nation.
Having a Say Conference – A discussion on the NDIS
To start the day at 9.30am the VALID Having a Say Conference is opening its doors for free to the broader community on Friday morning only, for residents to come and listen to, and ask questions of the expert panel of speakers.
Held at the Frankston Arts Centre in Frankston on Wednesday December 5, locals will be treated to an expert line up of speakers to discuss the National Disability Insurance Scheme.
Starting at 9.30am the forum will discuss the foundations of NDIS, what is it, why we need it, who is for and what is happening in the current environment.
A forum on the proposed National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) will be held in Benalla on Thursday 15 November at 1pm.
The key speaker at the forum will be the Parliamentary Secretary for Disabilities and Carers, Senator Jan McLucas who has been a key driver of the development of the NDIS in the Federal Government. James O’Brien, Acting State Manager, National Disability Services in Victoria will also address the forum.
The forum is just one of hundreds that have been held across Australia by the Every Australian Counts campaign, who have been working right across Australia to push for the introduction of a properly designed and funded NDIS. The campaign now has 135,000 supporters, who have all been pushing for the introduction of the NDIS which will help ensure people living with disability, their families and carers get access to a decent level of care and support. Continue reading »
Senator Jan Mclucas said that November 28th is the likely date for the introduction of the NDIS legislation into federal parliament for its first sitting. The Senator was speaking at a morning tea hosted by Senator Louise Pratt in the electorate of Brand, the most marginal Labor seat in WA, to a number of local campaigners with disabilities as well as family/carers
After a summary from the senator to bring everyone up to date on progress toward an NDIS there were wide ranging questions that ranged from who would make the assessments to workforce capacity, information and referral and how to cope with the tyranny of distance in WA.
NDIS Forum Reminder – Thurs 6th September
Girls Against LimitationS (Women with Disabilities – Rockingham) will host an NDIS Forum with Minister Jenny Macklin MP the Minister for Disability Reform who will be open to your questions and the HON Gary Gray AO MP, Federal Member for Brand.
10.00am at South Coastal Women’s Health Services 4 Civic Boulevard, Rockingham
Please RSVP with your name and contact number to Marija Nelson at South Coastal Women’s Health Services on 9550 0900
Caboolture Physical Disability Support Network President Matt McCracken says it time to revolutionise disability services. ”I want everyone who lives in northern Brisbane who wants to change the system to come along to our NDIS forum and shout “I COUNT!”
Matt’s NDIS community information forum is aimed at people with disability, their families, carers, supporters and service providers who are:
- Sick of fighting for services
- Tired of massive waiting times for equipment
- Over having to beg for support and then be grateful for any tiny little bit
Wednesday 15 June 2:30pm – 4:30pm
Morayfield Community Centre, Morayfield (near Bunnings)
RSVP/details: Matt 0410 660 858, e: firstname.lastname@example.org
Gai Brodtmann and Andrew Leigh will be hosting the Parliamentary Secretary for Disabilities and Carers, Senator the Hon Jan McLucas at an Afternoon tea and public forum to discuss a National Disability Insurance Scheme.
Friday 24 August 2pm-4pm - Griffin Centre - Genge Street, Canberra City
Please RSVP to Andrew.Leigh.MP@aph.gov.au by 12 noon, Friday 24 August.
The grand Hobart Town Hall was the venue for a well attended forum yesterday where both major political parties re-affirmed their commitment to introducing the NDIS.
Tasmanian Labor Senator Carol Brown and the Liberal Shadow Minister for Disabilities Senator Mitch Fifield both spoke passionately about their commitment to the NDIS with both demonstrating a strong grasp of the systemic issues confronting the way disability services are funded and delivered in Australia.
These problems of course where chronicled in great detail by the Productivity Commission who condemned up front the current system as “inequitable, underfunded, fragmented and inefficient and gives people with a disability little choice” in their landmark report provided to the Government earlier this year.
Senator Jan Mclucas, parliamentary secretary for disabilities addressed a Perth NDIS forum in late Oct and told them of the responsibility she feels to get this right because “You simply don’t get ‘two bites of the cherry’ with reform as fundamental as this”. See the transcript of her speech here http://www.janmclucas.fahcsia.gov.au/speeches/Pages/jmc_s_ndisforum_26october2011.aspx
You can also read the latest update from herself and Minister Jenny Macklin -which details the progress of the NDIS – see below
Join the campaign
- Several Federal Members of Parliament set to hold NDIS forums across Victoria, come and have your voice heard!
- Geelong is in for a double delight as two NDIS forums are held on February 8, 2013! Register today!
- Expert disability panel to discuss NDIS - Frankston - 5 December
- Upcoming NDIS forum in Benalla:15 November
- Rob Mitchell MP and Senator McLucas host NDIS forum in Seymour
- Chelsea, your Federal MP wants to hear your thoughts on the NDIS
- Senator Mclucas invites you to talk about the NDIS in Brand
Join the Conversation
- Blogs from State Campaign Co-ordinators (316)
- Count me in Celebrities (19)
- Counting on our MPs (112)
- DisabiliTEA 2 August 2011 (12)
- DisabiliTEA 2012 (4)
- EAC (133)
- I Count TV (20)
- In the media (153)
- Look who's counting now (56)
- Message book (7196)
- My Story – Why every Australian must count (11)
- National (53)
- National Disability and Carers Congress (14)
- NDIS Information Forums (73)
- News (37)
- Notes from the Campaign Director (29)
- NSW/ACT (63)
- QLD (88)
- SA/NT (17)
- Upcoming Events (33)
- VIC/TAS (134)
- WA (117)
- You Count – Campaigners in Action (60)
- Your Story (100)
In the media
- Meanwhile in WA... 16 May, 2013
- PM on WA & the NDIS 28 March, 2013
- NDIS Legislation Eclipse 22 March, 2013
- Tweet NDIS Questions to the WA Leaders Debate Tonight 19 February, 2013
- Premier Barnett on the NDIS & COAG 5 December, 2012
- Excellence in Disability Reform -Samantha Jenkinson in her own words 29 November, 2012
- Asking our MPS to stand and deliver 26 November, 2012
- Media Release: CAMPAIGN REJECTS NDIS COST SCAREMONGERING 15 November, 2012