When you are 34 years old and fiercely independent the last option you want to be considering is life in a nursing home. But after an official letter today, WA campaigner Hayden Stevens is worried that prospect is looking more likely.
Today’s mail brought a letter from the WA Combined Application Process to which Hayden had applied for funding to assist him to continue living independently. With a degenerative condition Hayden’s needs have changed over the last few years and he is currently only able to afford a limited amount of nights with an overnight carer. Family and friends are currently bridging the gap, but that’s not sustainable, even in the short term.
The letter stated that four hundred people had applied for accommodation funding but only fifty were successful. And Hayden is mindful that the 350, including himself, are still looking down the barrel of months of worry and pain before they can apply again, without any guarantees. For Hayden time is crucial and endless applications are not possible.
Hayden’s video is a straightforward message to the Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition to make sure they get on with building a better system with an NDIS.
You can see it here http://video.everyaustraliancounts.com.au/video151
Leave a comment
Join the campaign
Upcoming EventsUpcoming Events
- Several Federal Members of Parliament set to hold NDIS forums across Victoria, come and have your voice heard!
- Geelong is in for a double delight as two NDIS forums are held on February 8, 2013! Register today!
- Expert disability panel to discuss NDIS – Frankston – 5 December
- Upcoming NDIS forum in Benalla:15 November
- Rob Mitchell MP and Senator McLucas host NDIS forum in Seymour
- Chelsea, your Federal MP wants to hear your thoughts on the NDIS
- Senator Mclucas invites you to talk about the NDIS in Brand
Join the Conversation
- Blogs from State Campaign Co-ordinators (316)
- Count me in Celebrities (19)
- Counting on our MPs (112)
- DisabiliTEA 2 August 2011 (12)
- DisabiliTEA 2012 (4)
- EAC (136)
- I Count TV (20)
- In the media (153)
- Look who's counting now (56)
- Message book (7194)
- My Story – Why every Australian must count (11)
- National (53)
- National Disability and Carers Congress (14)
- NDIS Information Forums (73)
- News (37)
- Notes from the Campaign Director (29)
- NSW/ACT (63)
- QLD (88)
- SA/NT (17)
- Upcoming Events (33)
- VIC/TAS (134)
- WA (117)
- You Count – Campaigners in Action (60)
- Your Story (100)
In the mediaIn the media
- Meanwhile in WA… 16 May, 2013
- PM on WA & the NDIS 28 March, 2013
- NDIS Legislation Eclipse 22 March, 2013
- Tweet NDIS Questions to the WA Leaders Debate Tonight 19 February, 2013
- Premier Barnett on the NDIS & COAG 5 December, 2012
- Excellence in Disability Reform -Samantha Jenkinson in her own words 29 November, 2012
- Asking our MPS to stand and deliver 26 November, 2012
- Media Release: CAMPAIGN REJECTS NDIS COST SCAREMONGERING 15 November, 2012