Thursday 6 September 2012
The Every Australian Counts campaign for the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) will hold its second annual ‘DisabiliTEA’, a nationwide tea party, on Friday 26 October right across Australia.
We want this year’s event to be bigger and better than last year and send a clear message to Australia’s political leaders that the NDIS has strong community support.
Last year, around 35,000 people took part in more than 900 DisabiliTEA events around the nation which helped put the NDIS firmly on the public agenda.
This year, we want a massive show of strength from the Australian community to ensure our political leaders commit to the full implementation of the NDIS without further delay or equivocation.
The campaign is delighted that Julia Taylor, runner up in this year’s TV series of Master Chef and her sister Katie an Australian living with disability, have got on board to launch this year’s DisabiliTEA event.
Julia and Katie will be cooking up a storm at this year’s DisabiliTEA in October and they are sharing an exclusive recipe with everyone who registers for this year’s event.
Julia and Katie are from Queensland where the NDIS is still a long way from becoming a reality.
We’ve come a long way since our DisabiliTEA last year. The Federal Government has committed funding for the first stage of the NDIS which will be launched at sites in New South Wales, Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia and the ACT from 1 July next year.
This means about 20,000 Australians with disability, their families and carers will start to benefit from the NDIS.
But there is still a long way to go.
As a matter of urgency, we want the Prime Minister to put real money on the table to ensure the full implementation of the NDIS. We also want the Government to enshrine the NDIS in legislation as well as the new independent body that will operate it.
We want to see the NDIS locked in, for good, for all Australians, in every state and territory, so Katie and over 400,000 Australians with a disability get the care and support they need. Having 20,000 people get the NDIS in five launch sites is not enough.
That’s why your help is so important and why we’re asking you to host DisabiliTEA again in October. The more people who participate in this event, the more likely our politicians will hear our call for the NDIS.
Hosting a DisabiliTEA is easy. Last year, people hosted events in all sorts of places; at home, in their workplaces, at disability services providers, at town halls and in parks.
This year we want the whole community involved to demonstrate why the NDIS is a reform for all Australians. State and Federal MPs will be invited to community events to demonstrate their personal commitment to the NDIS.
Register today and help make DisabiliTEA a fantastic, fun community event that shines a light on why every Australian counts.
John Della Bosca 0429 570 390 firstname.lastname@example.org
James O’Brien 0409 860 708 email@example.com
Fiona Anderson 0447 717 800 firstname.lastname@example.org
Geraldine Mellet 0431 170 715 email@example.com
Leave a comment
Join the campaign
- Several Federal Members of Parliament set to hold NDIS forums across Victoria, come and have your voice heard!
- Geelong is in for a double delight as two NDIS forums are held on February 8, 2013! Register today!
- Expert disability panel to discuss NDIS - Frankston - 5 December
- Upcoming NDIS forum in Benalla:15 November
- Rob Mitchell MP and Senator McLucas host NDIS forum in Seymour
- Chelsea, your Federal MP wants to hear your thoughts on the NDIS
- Senator Mclucas invites you to talk about the NDIS in Brand
Join the Conversation
- Blogs from State Campaign Co-ordinators (308)
- Count me in Celebrities (19)
- Counting on our MPs (110)
- DisabiliTEA 2 August 2011 (12)
- DisabiliTEA 2012 (4)
- EAC (124)
- I Count TV (20)
- In the media (153)
- Look who's counting now (54)
- Message book (7196)
- My Story – Why every Australian must count (10)
- National (51)
- National Disability and Carers Congress (14)
- NDIS Information Forums (73)
- News (31)
- Notes from the Campaign Director (29)
- NSW/ACT (63)
- QLD (88)
- SA/NT (17)
- Upcoming Events (33)
- VIC/TAS (134)
- WA (110)
- You Count – Campaigners in Action (58)
- Your Story (100)
In the media
- Meanwhile in WA... 16 May, 2013
- PM on WA & the NDIS 28 March, 2013
- NDIS Legislation Eclipse 22 March, 2013
- Tweet NDIS Questions to the WA Leaders Debate Tonight 19 February, 2013
- Premier Barnett on the NDIS & COAG 5 December, 2012
- Excellence in Disability Reform -Samantha Jenkinson in her own words 29 November, 2012
- Asking our MPS to stand and deliver 26 November, 2012
- Media Release: CAMPAIGN REJECTS NDIS COST SCAREMONGERING 15 November, 2012